Overnights oats are the latest craze in easy, vegan, and whole food recipes. And I can definitely understand why. Who wouldn’t like something easy to make, good to eat, and super healthy? When I decided to venture down the overnight oats road, I wanted to do something a little different and also catch my kids attention. Being vegan, protein is always something we make sure we are getting enough of. Our newest protein packed love is hemp seeds. I really like the Hemp Hearts brand, they have a great texture and add so much nutrition to our meals! So I decided that in my series of overnight oats, I was definitely putting these in there. To catch my kids attention, I ventured out to make my very own Overnight Oats Dessert Series! Dessert number one, Berry Cobbler…enjoy!
Berry Cobbler Overnight Oats
This is the first overnight oats recipe in my new series of Dessert Overnight Oats. Berry Cobbler is a sweet and delicious way to start your day!
- ½ cup fresh or thawed frozen berries (chopped or mashed)
- ¼ ripe banana mashed (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons date paste (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raw shelled hemp seeds (I use the Hemp Hearts brand)
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats (or regular rolled oats)
- 1- 1 ½ cups almond milk, depending on how runny you like your oats (or other milk of choice)
note: Instead of using the hemp seeds, you can sub more oats. You can also use the berries straight from the freezer but don’t expect them to mix well until the next morning.
Put all ingredients in a mason jar (or other container) in the order listed. Close lid tightly and shake well. Store in the refrigerator until the next morning.
Before eating, shake well again. Serve cold or warm, if serving warm take the lid off of the jar before warming in the microwave or pour the oats in a pot to warm on the stove. You can also add a little more milk when serving to give it a “soupier” feel.